Finding a web designer to help you take your business online can feel a bit overwhelming. There are so many out there, and how do you find someone who can really get what you’re up to, get a glimpse of your vision, and create something that will really work for you?
All web designers are not created equal, so it’s important to do your research. If you want your website and blog to truly work for you, to help you attract your perfect clients and grow your business, then you need a designer who gets internet marketing and can see how it needs to work for your specific business.
Here are 3 tips to help you find the perfect web designer for you and your big vision.
1. Get Clear on What You Want
Starting out with a clear vision of what you want and what’s important to you will go a long way in helping you find the perfect support to make it happen.
- What qualities would you like to see in your web designer?
- How do you want to feel while working with this person?
- How do you want to feel about your completed website and online presence?
- What specific features, colors, capabilities, etc do you want for your website?
- What other websites have you seen that inspired you?
From my perspective as a designer, it is a delight to work with someone who is clear on what they want and where they are going. You don’t need to have all the details figured out, but having that overall picture of what you want will help your designer to figure out all the pieces and details to make that happen for you.
2. Ask the Right Questions
When talking to designers you need to know the right questions to ask to make sure they are going to be the right fit for you and your vision.
- Do they work with WordPress and are they able to customize it to create a unique look and feel for your website?
- Are they savvy with social media? Email marketing? Blogging? Branding? Opt-in offers? Shopping carts? Working with someone who can set up your complete online presence (not just a website) will be a huge advantage for you. (More about this below.)
- Are they excited about your business and what you’re up to? Can they catch even just a glimpse of your vision? (This one you won’t need to specifically ask them, but just note it for yourself, based on their reaction, responses, attitude, and how you feel when talking to them.)
- How do they work? Through email, over the phone, Skype, etc? And are you comfortable with that method(s)?
If you were to only ask ONE question of a web designer, find out if they have the skills and knowledge to help you build a complete platform that includes ALL of the pieces you need to grow your business online.
I work with my clients from start to finish and have the skills to do pretty much everything they need for their website, social media, email marketing, branding and even right down to things like business card design, to help them really match everything up and create a consistent look and feel across everything they are doing. This saves you so much frustration and overwhelm, because you have that one person who is supporting you through the whole process, who gets you and what you’re up to and can really help bring it all together for you into a powerful online platform for your business.
3. Ask Around within Your Community
One of the BEST places to find that perfect designer for you is to ask like-minded people who they use or recommend. These are people within your community (including any online communities where you hang out) who inspire you and you feel that resonance and connection with who they are and what they’re up to.
- Your coaches and mentors, people who have significantly contributed to your business growth and know where you’re at and what you need.
- Friends and colleagues, fellow business owners and people who hang out in the same circles as you.
- People you admire and follow, whether you’ve actually worked with them or not.
- People you see online who have a gorgeous, effective online presence. In other words, people who have what you’re looking for.
If they have a designer they work with and love, this is a great place to start, as it is more likely you’ll find someone you really resonate with. And getting those recommendations from people who know you and what’s important to you OR people who are right where you want to be with their online presence, will get you in contact with designers who are far more likely to be a good fit for you and able to support you and make your vision a reality.
Ultimately, the best designer for you is going to be someone who gets who you are and what you’re up to with your business, and who has the skills and knowledge to help you take that online with your website, social media, email marketing and any other pieces that you specifically need for your business.
To find out if you are the perfect client for the web designer you want, check out my guest post over on the Prosperous Coach Blog, The Perfect Client from a Web Designer’s Perspective.
And if you’re currently looking for a designer to help you take your business online, I’d love to talk to you about what you are looking for! I have a couple of spots open for a complimentary Be Irresistible Online Strategy Session, and I invite you to fill out an application here.